Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bella, Soccer Star


I resolved in my last post to figure a way to make this less potentially hurtful for the boys.  In the last few days I have been able to speak to a number of friends and acquaintances about my concerns and, although some said the threat of harm to the boys is a theoretical possibility, most simply pointed out that no one really reads blogs.  Most teachers and educators, although acknowledging that cyber-bullying is a pervasive problem, told me that they have never heard of such a thing as a child being bullied or teased because of a parents blog, FaceBook, yes, but not a blog.  I polled two teachers and a librarian...

I figure it this way, maybe - maybe - one-hundred people will see this post.  I have less than three-hundred followers on my FB page, most I know personally or at least know who are, a friend of a friend, that sort of thing.  So, you know what?  I am gonna risk it.  I have scoured these pages in the last few days for something, anything, that might seriously harm them as they go forward in school and life.  I can't find it.  N and Z are good boys, with strong hearts, sweet dispositions and, as I see it, the ability to figure who their real friends are.  It'll be alright.  I think they would rather have this silly, harmless, loving chronicle and suffer the occasional poke about their spelling or bad pirate drawings than be free from that threat and not have this on which to remember back.

I may be wrong...


This is Bella, she is a soccer star:


Down on the bottom right, parenthetically, N points out that she is married to Chad:


Chad is in the Navy Force and is sporting a snappy uniform there.

Z is working on a new historical graphic novel about English emigration in the late eighteenth century.  I love this boat, or is a ship?


There is a lot less of this sort of thing these days.  Practices and homework and the damn, damn, damn Kindles have taken away a lot of the time they used to have to make pictures and drawings and all that.  Sad, really, endings are that way.

After practice last night they came home and immediately went to the table with their craft-boxes and busted these out.  I am glad they did.

Listen, if you are a follower here and have a second, do me a favor.  Run this over in your head:  Do you see what anyone, even a mean child, could find on this post, or any others you can think of around here, that would aid in hurting or teasing N or Z?

I can't...


From Marci's "...things you don't expect to hear from the backseat..."

... for the sequel: things you don't expect to SAY to the backseat ...

"Yes, it would be cool, but I don't think we should set that on fire, honey."


(yes, I have boyz)



I will be trying some other things around here, I have even considered a new look, but, I don't think I need to give up on the fun and joy of watching a boy or two grow up quite yet.

(On a side note, I asked the boys if I could put these on my blog.  "Oh yeah, that'd be cool," and "Only if you'll do the rest of the comic once it's finished.")

Thanks for coming by.




1 comment:

  1. I think you are spot on Bill. And I think it starts with what you, as the author, choose to share. Personally, I have done my best to share accomplishments, sweet moments, funny sayings, etc... but have stayed away from things that could be construed negatively about the kids. Sure, there is always a chance. But a miniscule one, and one that could be handled if it did come up. What you have by posting is a wonderful place to come back to time and again to remember many of the awesome moments you have shared.

    It's worth the risk, as long as there is nothing that could really be damaging to them later on.

    Thanks for sharing your moments with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete